Do you know what the essential sewing tools and supplies you need?
Well, I do.
And if you stick around, you will too.
Sewing is a craft–and every craft has its tools. The essentials that allow you, the dreamer, to make your dreams a reality.
There is no doubt in my mind that a professional end result, as well as the enjoyment of the process, is directly related to having the proper tools and supplies.
Now, in the beginning, it is hard to know exactly what sewing tools you actually need.
And it is easy to be utterly confused as you stand transfixed in front of that massive wall of notions at your local fabric store.
I can’t tell you how often I’ve stood in front of just such a wall or walked an aisle lined on both sides, picked up this whatnot or that. I glared at it as if begging it to reveal its value to me. Then, reading the back cover before returning the item to its spot still unsure if I really needed it.
But today is your lucky day.
Because I am here to make sure that confusion doesn’t happen to you. You can learn from my hard-won experience. You can avoid the overwhelm.
And you can save your dollars so that you can later spend them on, what else, but luscious, dreamy fabrics. Can I get a hallelujah?!
So without further ado…
Here is my essential list of sewing tools and supplies that you absolutely must have to begin the journey of bringing your dreams of insanely pretty dresses to life so that you can get busy flaunting them.
Are you ready?!
Then, let’s keep this stupid simple and begin…
NOTE: If you’re ready to begin this journey and would like to buy my recommended tools and supplies, please click HERE!
Essential Sewing Tools & Supplies
A Large Jar of Patience
This isn’t a tool that you can buy, of course. But you will need it! I will make this journey as easy as I can for you. But truthfully, it is still a learning process.
And sometimes, learning can be a little frustrating. So be patient, grasshopper. Be patient.
Next up, of course, you need a…
When you’re ready to buy your sewing machine, first, consider your budget! Please, please don’t buy more sewing machine than you can ever use. But at the same time buy enough machine to grow with.
RELATED: Click HERE to learn what you need to know to buy the best sewing machine for you!
The Essential Sewing Kit
And in addition to your sewing machine, you will need some other tools:
- Cutting tools: (1) a pair of dressmaker’s shears, (2) a pair of paper scissors, (3) thread snips or tiny scissors, and (4) a seam ripper;
- Straight pins: (1) glass-head for wovens, (2) ballpoint for knits, and (3) a pincushion;
- Sewing machine needles: based on fabric fiber and weight;
- Hand needles + a thimble;
- Sewing Thread: all-purpose polyester or polyester-core in the four basic colours;
- Measuring tools: (1) a fiberglass tape measure, (2) a 2×18 grid ruler; and (3) a seam gauge;
- Marking tools (I’m partial to water-soluble marking pens and tailor’s chalk); and
- Pressing tools: (1) a heavy ar$e iron, (2) an ironing board, and (3) a pressing cloth.
Click on the hyperlinks above to benefit from my experience — the good and the bad. It could save you a bundle of money and/or your sanity!
I know it sounds like a lot, but honestly, these are the essential tools and supplies you need to begin learning how to sew insanely pretty clothes!
And once you’ve made your first garment and are flaunting it, I think you’ll agree…
They are so worth it!
I’ve given you a skeleton list above of the essentials you need in your basic sewing kit.
And when you’re ready to learn all you need to know and more as a beginner about a particular tool, then click the appropriate hyperlink and enjoy…
- An Ultimate Guide to Cutting Tools
- An Ultimate Guide to Sewing Straight Pins
- An Ultimate Guide to Sewing Machine Needles
- An Ultimate Guide to Sewing Thread
- The 3 Essential Sewing Measuring Tools
- An Ultimate Guide to Sewing Marking Tools
- An Ultimate Guide to Pressing Tools
- What Are Sewing Notions?
- How to Organize Your Sewing Tools & Supplies
Life is the ultimate red carpet event. Dress for it!
RELATED: Click HERE to learn everything you need to know about the sewing machine so that you can begin unleashing your dressmaking superpowers!
RELATED: Click HERE to learn the Commandments of Sewing!
RELATED: Click HERE if you’re ready to begin this journey and would like to buy my recommended tools and supplies!