With the resources listed here for sewing tools and supplies, you will save time and money! Get tested recommendations on the the resources you need as a sewist.
We’re creators. We’re artisans. Creators and artisans must have tools. And because we sew, we get notions too.
Here is my list of resources that I think you will enjoy and find immensely helpful and/or crucial for making insanely pretty dresses or for increasing the enjoyment of our craft.
I promise that I’ll ONLY recommend tools and supplies that I’ve used personally and companies that I’ve done happy business with.
As an Amazon Associate I may earn a small commission from qualifying purchases you make from links on this page.
This is at NO extra cost to you!
Please do NOT spend money on any tool, supply, or another resource on this list unless you need it to help you dream it, sew it, and flaunt it.
Table of Contents
For your convenience, the following resources have been tested by me and found worthy.
- Cutting Tools
- Straight Pins
- Sewing Machine Needles
- Hand Needles
- Sewing Thread
- Measuring Tools
- Marking Tools
- Pressing Tools
- Notions ~ Miscellaneous
- Sewing Machines
- Sewing Pattern Supplies
- Sewing Pattern Companies
- Fabric Resources
- Sewing Books
- Sewing Magazines
- Sewing Machine Manuals
- Fiskars RazorEdge Fabric Shears
- Kai 5210 Dressmaking Shears
- Gingher 8-Inch Micro-Serrated Edge Knife Dressmaker’s Shears
- Gingher 7.5″ Pinking Shears
- Gingher 4-Inch Lightweight Embroidery Scissors
- Vintage European Style Scissors for Embroidery
- Fiskars Nonstick Titanium Softgrip Scissors
- Fons and Porter Thread Snippers
- Dritz Seam-Fix Seam Ripper
RELATED: Read this article – An Ultimate Guide to Cutting Tools.
- Dritz Extra-Fine Glass-Head Pins (White Pinhead)
- Dritz Ultra-Fine Glass Head Pins (Blue Pinhead)
- Dritz Ball Point Pins, Size 20
- Dritz Flat Flower Head Pins
- Dritz Silk Pins
- Dritz Long Pearlized Pins
- Dritz Tomato Pin Cushion
- Wrist Pin Cushion
- Grabbit Sewing Magnetic Pincushion
RELATED: Read this article – An Ultimate Guide to Sewing Straight Pins.
Sewing Machine Needles
- Janome Blue Tipped Needles
- Klasse Sewing Machine Needles
- Schmetz Universal ~ Size 80/12
- Schmetz Universal ~ Assorted Pack
- Schmetz Jersey / Ballpoint ~ 80/12
- Schmetz Microtex (Sharps) ~ 80/12
- Schmetz Topstitching ~ 80/12
RELATED: Read this article – An Ultimate Guide to Sewing Machine Needles.
Hand Sewing Needles
- Gutermann Sew-All Thread, White (#20)
- Gutermann Sew-All Thread, Black (#10)
- Gutermann Sew-All Thread, Eggshell (#22)
- Gutermann Sew-All Thread, Slate (#110)
- Gutermann Sew-All Thread – 3-Pack Bundle: White, Mist Grey & Slate
- Dritz Elastic Sewing Thread
- Gutermann Elastic Thread
- Sulky Premium Invisible Thread
- Gutermann Invisible Thread
- Rayon thread ( I love Sulky, Connecting Threads, and Madeira!)
- Topstitching thread ( I love Sulky and Guterman!)
- Variegated thread (I love Sulky, Mettler, and Guternmann!)
- Mettler Thread
RELATED: Read this article – An Ultimate Guide to Sewing Thread.
- Dritz 60-inch measuring tape
- 2×18 Dritz Quilting See-Thru Drafting Ruler
- 2×18 Cottage Mills Ruler with Easy Grip knob
- Dritz 7-inch Seam Gauge with Point Turner
- Clover’s 5n1 Sliding Seam Gauge
- Clover’s Supersize 5n1 Sliding Seam Gauge
- Dritz Omnigrid Invisigrip
- TrueCut TrueGrips Non-Slip Adhesive Rings
RELATED: Read this article – The Three Essential Measuring Tools.
- Ogrmar Professional Tailor’s Chalk Triangle
- Clover Chacopel Fine Point Pencils with Brush Cap & Sharpener
- Clover Pen Style Chaco Line
- Dritz Ergonomic Serrated Tracing Wheel
- Prym Smooth Edge Ergonomic Tracing Wheel
- Ogrmar Needle Point Tracing Wheel With Wood Handle
- Crayola Ultra-Clean Washable Crayons
- Crayola Ultra-Clean Washable Fine Point Markers
- Crayola Washable Markers ~ Super Tips
- Avery ¼-inch Round Removable Colour-Coding Labels
RELATED: Read this article – An Ultimate Guide to Sewing Marking Tools.
- Shark Ultimate Professional Iron
- BEAUTURAL 1800-Watt Steam Iron with Digital LCD Screen (I LOVE this iron!)
- Dritz Iron-Off Hot Iron Cleaner
- Faultless Hot Iron Cleaner
- Dritz Sheer Press Cloth ~ 100% Silk Organza
- Polder Deluxe Ironing Station with Iron Holster
- White T-Shirt Cloth Rags
- Dritz Tailor’s Ham
- Dritz Seam Roll
- Scotch-Brite Lint Roller ~ Twin Pack
RELATED: Read this article – An Ultimate Guide to Pressing Tools.
Notions ~ Miscellaneous
- Dritz Lightweight Clear Elastic
- Pellon 865 Bi-Stretch Lite Interfacing
- Stay tape
- Zippers ~ All-purpose
- Zippers ~ Decorative
RELATED: Read this article – What Are Sewing Notions?
- Traditional Sewing Kit
- Husky 10-inch All-Purpose Tote
- Over The Door Shoe Organizer 24 LARGE Mesh Pockets
- Over the Door Hanging Shoe Organizer
- Bobbin Box Tray Organizers
- BobbinSaver Sewing Machine Bobbin Organizer
- Wonder Hanger Max NEW & IMPROVED
RELATED: Read this article – How to Organize Your Sewing Tools & Supplies.
- Janome DC2014 Computerized Sewing Machine with 50 Built-In Stitches
- Brother CS6000i Computerized Sewing Machine
- Stanley Stubby Cushion Grip Magnetic Tip 2-Piece Screwdriver Set
- Class 15 bobbins – 72 Pieces
- Zipper feet ~ Miscellaneous
- Madam Sew Universal Presser Feet Set ~ 32 PCS
- Zoom-SPOUT Sewing Machine Oil
- Belkin Surge Protector
RELATED: Read these articles: Understanding Your Sewing Machine!
RELATED: Read this article – The Ergonomics of Sewing.
Sewing Pattern Supplies
RELATED: Read this article – Duplicating Your Sewing Patterns.
Commercial Pattern Companies
From what I can tell, once upon a time, there were a lot of pattern companies. For example, there was Advance Patterns (exclusively sold at J.C. Penny); Spadea Design Patterns; Polynesian Patterns (so interesting); and Hollywood Patterns (Created by Conde Nast and glamorous), Burda, New Look, Butterick, McCalls, Simplicity, Vogue, and more I’m sure.
Over the decades, pattern houses have come and gone. And when the dust settled, in the US, we were left with the four BIG commercial pattern companies: Butterick, McCalls, Simplicity, and Vogue. However, today, it seems like Simplicity and McCalls own everybody else.
- Burda (part of the Simplicity brand)
- Burda Style (separate website)
- Butterick (part of the McCalls brand)
- New Look (part of the Simplicity brand)
- Vogue Patterns (part of the McCalls brand)
Our art is sewing and our medium is fabric and textiles. Therefore, a good fabric reference resource is priceless. Here are some great resources to get your fabric fix on… Enjoy!
RELATED: Read these articles: Fabric 101.
Honestly, I’ve found in my studies that no one book gave the total 411 on any sewing technique.
A single book — or article or video — just can’t do that! BUT…
… with that said, I still suggest that in the beginning you control yourself, save your cash, and just choose ONE technique resource. And as a beginner, let’s keep our chosen technique resource super simple! I like the following:
And these are my two favorite fabric resources:
- Fabric A to Z: The Essential Guide to Choosing and Using Fabric for Sewing by Dana Willard
- All New Fabric Savvy: How to Choose & Use Fabrics
- The Mood Guide to Fabric and Fashion: The Essential Guide from the World’s Most Famous Fabric Store
Finally, if you ever plan to sew fitted garments, you need a good fitting resource! For me, this book connected so many lost and confused dots on the subject of fit that I donated all other fitting books to the Goodwill! Yes, it is that good — and I do NOT tissue fit then or now. But this fitting resource is the bomb! So if you’re ready for a fitting resource, then this is the one you need:
When I’m not sewing, making photos, or writing, I do love to curl up on my loveseat with my favorite sewing magazines.
Sewing Machine Manuals
If your sewing machine manual has taken a walk or has been dog-eared to death, Sewing Parts Online Instruction Manuals is a great place to start. There are names here I’ve never even heard of.
However, many sewing machine manuals are available online FREE. Just Google the brand and model of your sewing machine followed by PDF.
For example: Janome 415 PDF (with or without quotes)
So make it your business to bookmark this page and check back regularly to find the latest and the greatest goodies I’ve added just for you.
Life is the ultimate red carpet event. Dress for it!